Thursday, March 01, 2007

Come back, bunny bowl!


Don't you hate it when you're having a dream in which something really great is about to happen, like having the best sex of your life with your favorite celebrity, and then you feel yourself waking up before you get to the good part? Sometimes I know, in my dream, that I'm waking up and I tell myself, "Stay asleep! STAY ASLEEP!" But that never works, sadly.

This morning I had a dream that I wandered into an auction in the midst of the bidding on a ceramic bowl shaped like a bunny rabbit, with a bunch of other cool stuff piled into the bowl. I didn't really catch what-all was in the bowl, but the bidding was at $3.00, so I bid, and then the other woman who wanted it bid $4.00, and then I bid $5.00.

So all eyes were on this other woman, and she hemmed and hawed and showed me this shelf she'd bought and how cute the ceramic bowl would look on it, somehow thinking I'd relent and let her cheap self have the bowl for $4.00. Chuh! As if.

But I hadn't gotten a number before I bid, so I had to fill out all this paperwork, and I woke up as I was writing my address, and I never got a good look at my bunny bowl or what was inside. Alas.

Those particular lots at auctions are my favorites, by the way--the stuff left over at the end, where they've taken a mess of odds and ends, piled them in a box lid, and then auction them off for a few bucks.

I've gotten some interesting things in those lots--an ancient English teapot, a Carnival glass crock with a lid (which was sadly shattered in my falling table tragedy of November), a pile of very old Sunday School books with beautiful pictures, two lovely old sepia photos of cocker spaniels. To me, there's nothing more fun than rummaging through other people's detrititus.

And my dream denied me the fun! Ah well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Janelle! I'm glad to see that you're feeling better! Spring has almost sprung...we'll have to hit some auctions and estate sales to see if we can find your bunny bowl!

Leslie said...

Normally I hate it when people share their dreams, but this one was great! And I could put your next to last statement on my wall, "To me, there's nothing more fun than rummaging through other people's detrititus." Ahh...one man's trash... :)
Les.

Jeremy said...

I have to say, the title of this particular post should get bonus points for originality...I imagine a crazy drunken old coot shambling around a subway station, accosting passers-by and bellowing "Come back, bunny bowl!"