Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Halloween anticipation.

Here's an awesome little time-waster of a site: carve your own virtual jack o' lantern!

I love Halloween. I ordered 100 glow-stick bracelets last night, in the hopes that I can avoid buying a ton of candy that will end up in my mouth rather than the trick-or-treaters' bags. I hear there are some little Halloween Play-doh packages out now, too, and I might try to track some down in case we have a ton of kids or I want to offer a choice.

I know it's all about the candy, but I would have been thrilled with a glow-stick bracelet as a kid so I'm hoping the little ones will be, too.

One of my favorite things about Halloween is all the classic horror movies that they show on Turner Classic Movies. This year they seem to be planning a Vincent Price marathon on the evening of the 31st, with some generic scaries playing all day long.

One blissful Halloween 6 or 7 years ago, American Movie Classics had a terrific four-day Monsterfest, with all the oldies (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman) as well as some great sci-fi monster movies and a few spoofs like Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. It was fantastic!

Then the next year AMC changed formats to all commercials, all the time, and the definition of "classics" became "any cheap 1970s-80s crap we can scrape up from our library." Not that I'm still bitter or anything. But oh, that was the best Monsterfest ever that year. Sigh.

I checked AMC's schedule this year, and while they are playing a few of the oldies (stacked full of commercials) they're mingled with stuff like Halloween, The Exorcist and Child's Play. No, thanks. See, I like scary movies from the era before they became truly scary!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know-- I was just telling someone at work today that I wished someone would do a nice marathon of all of the old "thrillers" from the B/W movie age. When I was a kid, there used to be a show called Chiller Thiller Theater on Saturday nights on the local Pittsburgh station. Hosted by Chilly Bill Cardill. My mom used to let me stay up to watch them.

Too bad the marathon is on a week-night.

Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday.

The glow sticks sound great.

Maybe you can pass out some pacifiers and whistles, too, and have a rave in your neighborhood. :)

Mimi said...

My 15 year old said "I'm so excited. Homecoming is on the 21st and then on the 22nd AMC begins their horror fest"

To which, I asked "are you inviting your girlfriend to horrorfest?"

Bwahhaahahahhahaa.