Monday, August 24, 2009

Fairy tales.


I picked up two very old books of fairy tales at an estate sale a few weeks ago. They look like two from a larger set, because each book is slim, with just four or five tales in each one.

The pictures are just stunning. Here's "Little Red Riding Hood:"



And "Rumpelstiltskin":

"Jack and the Beanstalk"...I love the funky design on that beanseller's pants:

These are from a story called "The Goose Girl," which is not a story I remember, but which seems to be about a passive-aggressive princess with golden hair:

We also have "Tom Thumb":

And "The Frog Prince," soon to be Disneyfied in a theater near you, I believe:

"Puss in Boots"--look at the cool windmill in the background:

And "Bluebeard," with his fetching wife poking her nose in where it was best left unpoked:

And here are a few of the pictures from the story of "Beauty and the Beast," a favorite of my nieces Natalie and Marissa.

The last picture is the picture that made me scoop up those books! Love the fireworks!

What I love about this style of illustration is all the detail, the floral patterns and the textures on clothes and fabrics, the swooping sleeves and flowing hair--just so perfect for fairy tales, especially.

5 comments:

Donna said...

Very cool....this is the same illustrator as the classic Mother Goose book. You always find the good illustrations! I'm jealous. I'm always on the lookout but haven't been so lucky!

Leslie said...

Oh these are delightful! I love the details as well...even the curtains have a cool pattern!

Mimi said...

Oh my goodness, those are so Art Deco - I LOVE them. Sigh.
Good find.

Kim said...

Those are absolutely stunning. The Art Deco/Noveau style is beautiful!

Martha said...

Oh my gosh. Those are AMAZING illustrations!