Tuesday, May 08, 2007


Well, we have been busy, busy, busy around here for the last week or so. I asked my mother-in-law to come down and help me whip my flowerbeds into shape, and she very, very kindly obliged me--driving nine hours from Ohio all by herself and letting me work her like a slave for five days. What a blessing!

We gardened for the first three days she was here, and did a world of good, but I don't have any photos just yet, as it's sprinkling just enough to be annoying and get the camera lens wet. And every time I thought about snapping some pics while we were working, my hands and feet were caked with mud, which made going for the camera problematic.

The past two days, we turned our attention to the curtain situation in my study, and came up with a couple of tab-top curtains, plus a cover for my thrifted ottoman, and I'm so happy with how they came out:

The camera flash blew my lovely teal walls into a horrible bright blue, but please ignore that and admire my new pretties!

I attached the tabs with a motley collection of old buttons I had around:

These curtains were directly inspired by the door curtains posted at Daisy Cottage, one of my very favorite home decor blogs. I was trying to find a red check, but ended up with a yellow check, and thus recreated her curtains even more closely than I'd intended. So I figured I'd go all the way and include the red rickrack at the bottoms, too. On the window curtain, the length is eked out with some red material and the rickrack runs along where the red and yellow fabric meet. We did the same thing on the ottoman, and used a floral I picked out for my living room curtain on the top, since it went quite well with the study curtain fabrics, even though I bought them about two years apart. I guess I just can't get away from muted red and green and yellow no matter how hard I try!

Anyway, Viv sewed and I pressed hems and seams, as I can't sew worth a lick. And it all came out wonderfully.

Tomorrow, a few garden pics, if the sun shines.